Friday, September 24, 2010

Banh Mi

Where to get it: Anywhere in Chinatown and the Super 88 in Allston
Price Point: Under 3$ (Usually around 2.75)
(Credit to Chef's Night Out)

Banh Mi, also known as "Vietnamese Sandwiches" or "Vietnamese Subs" are, in essence, some sort of protein with cilantro, jalapeƱo, and pickled carrot and daikon radish all on a warm crusty baguette spread with mayo and sometimes a liver pate. The protein options range (depending on the place) from tofu to BBQ pork. No matter how you get it, it's sure to be a delicious combination of refreshing, spicy, sweet, sour and savory flavors. My advice is to look for places that don't have them sitting out in bags and will make them fresh for you. I personally like the hole-in-the-wall places, despite the language barrier because I think it tastes better, but I haven't had a bad one yet, no matter where I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment